Tuesday, January 07, 2014

48 hour juice cleanse: a food lover's nightmare!

I decided, since we are snowed in, why not try a 48 hour juice cleanse? I've heard mostly good things about it, and figured I could try anything for 2 measly days.

DAY 1
breakfast 0800: carrot juice. Kinda yucky, but I can tolerate it. About an hour late on my first cup of coffee. Might have to cheat. GOTTA HAVE COFFEE! It is juice, right? I think I can do this, if I can just have one cup.
10:00: my mouth is watering watching Charlie finish the pop tart that he started 2 hours before. I'm hungry :( 1 carrot juice and 2 (yes, 2) cups of coffee do not constitute breakfast! Starting to wonder if I will make it another 46 hours...
11:00: 3 cups of coffee later, I'm considering eating the cup. Wait a minute, is beer juice??
11:30: Can't wait any longer, time for lunch. Maybe I drank breakfast too fast. I'll sip this juice... for lunch is a Green Goddess mixture :) I'm so excited!! This blend is actually tasty!
12:30: Made my lunch juice last an hour. My tummy hurts, probably because it is HUNGRY! I think I will go into hibernation til dinner.
1:00: I'm hungry, irritable and haven't peed this much since I was pregnant. This warm lemon water is kinda a treat. I'm pretending it is a lemon meringue pie that has melted in my mouth :)
1:45: trying to nap, but the growling in my belly keeps waking me! Pretty sure my blood sugar is somewhere around 4 or 5. Uh-oh, might need some Imodium (sorry, a visual you weren't prepared for?)!
4:30: Time for another juice. My dinner juice has some protein in it. Maybe it will help me feel fullish longer. Otherwise, it has mango, banana, apple, pineapple and carrot. Sounds like it will taste okay? WRONG! It is a little bitter, and the protein gives it a chalky taste. I guess I will treat myself to some lemon chiffon cake after... ie lemon water.
6:00: Gave in and ate a serving of peanuts. I'll call it solidified peanut juice. I'm not quitting, just needed to actually chew something. I actually got a wild hair to somewhat exercise, so I did a 1/2 hour on the Wii fit. Quite unlike me, could it be that this juice thing is giving me energy? Or was it that 2 hour nap?
  8:00: final juice of the day is a super fruit blend. Not too bad, but not a filet mignon, medium-well with a loaded baked potatoe, Caeser salad and a glass of wine. 
8:45: I have almost made it through the first day! I can do this! At this point it is a test of Will power. I have a certification exam on Wednesday, and I am attempting to study. Unfortunately, the words all look like little chicken nuggets to me.

DAY 2
0900: I have made it 24 hours!! Only one more day to go. For breakfast I am having a peach smoothie. Not really sure if this counts as a juice, as it has yogurt in it. My kids slept in really late today. Don't think I can give credit to the juice cleanse for that, but it put me in a great mood this morning. I'm have to have a juice made from the fruit of the coffee bean, now.
12:45: I had a busy morning, running errands and taking the kids sledding. I forgot to be hungry... until  I started to make the kids lunch. Charlie requested a PB&J. The bread smelled like manna from Heaven. My lunch consists of blueberry / blackberry juice. Although it doesn't taste bad, I can't wait to have a real meal. Tomorrow for breakfast, I think will have a Big Mack with a side of Nachos Bell Grande!
2:30: starving, weak, feeling faint, gaunt looking, gonna have some tea. Would prefer a pizza!
3:30: might be time to eat... I find myself chewing on my lip and fingers!
4:00: super hungry. Belly hurts, irritable, shaky. Gonna have another tea.
6:00: I FAIL at hour 34. Couldn't go any longer. Ate some pita chips and spinache dip. Don't think I really see any benefit.  Didn't lose any weight. Still not sure what "toxins" I was ridding my body of, but the only change I felt was intense hunger from not eating for nearly 2 days. My skin looks pretty clear, but I'm not sure if I can attribute that to the cleanse... Don't think I'll be trying that again. Now, off to study. Maybe I'll be more productive with a full tummy.

No comments: